Grievance Process/Policy

A grievance is a complaint that a specific decision or action that affects the student’s academic record or status has violated published policies and procedures, or has been applied to the grievant in a manner different from that used for other students. The grievance process is not designed to resolve disputes between an individual and an institution that might occur over such issues as grades, academic integrity, billing, financial aid, terms of employment or other similar disputes nor to review events or circumstances that have occurred in an individual’s particular relationship with an institution. This policy does not limit the College’s right to change rules, policies or practices.

Clarkson College complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws relating to discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, veteran's status, or marital status.

Student Grievance Process

Step 1: The student must complete a Grievance Form obtained from the Student Services office or the Clarkson College website. The studentmust provide strong, documented evidence and submit the completed Grievance Form to the Registrar’s Office. The student must submit the Grievance Form no later than 14 days from the time of incident.

Step 2: The Registrar’s Office will forward the Grievance Form to the Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA) who will initiate and facilitate the college committee’s response to the student’s grievance. The VPAA will provide a written response of the outcome within 10 business days.

Step 3: The Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA) office will form and facilitate the Grievance Committee. Complainants may provide statements from witnesses as part of their information and evidence. Complaints of discrimination on the basis of sex may be filed with the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights, 8930 Ward Parkway, suite 2037, Kansas City, Missouri 64114-3302, and (816) 268-0050.

The grievance procedure is applicable to complaints alleging discrimination on the basis of sex.  Complaints of discrimination based on sex may be filed with the Office of Civil Rights, One Petticoat Lane, 1010 Walnut Street, Suite 320, Kansas City, Missouri  64106 and (816)268-0050.

The Grievance Committee is the designated arbiter of disputes within the student community in cases, which do not involve a violation of the Student Code of Conduct as described in the student welfare policy and in the student handbook. All parties must agree to arbitration, and be bound by the decision with no right of appeal. All complaints will be promptly and thoroughly investigated and resolved.

The Grievance Committee shall be composed of an Academic Council member,  one faculty member from the executive committee of Faculty Senate, one student government representative, VPAA, and one Director from Student Services; totaling five members. Committee members must be deemed to not have any conflicts of interest with regards to any part of the dispute. The VPAA will chair called meetings and gather all pertinent information. The VPAA will vote only in the case of a tie.

  1. Members will be appointed by the VPAA on a case-by-case basis.
  2. The VPAA shall develop policies for the administration of the academic grievance process and procedural rules for the conduct of hearings.
  3. The VPAA will communicate the results to the grievant.
  4. Decisions made by the Grievance Committee and/or VPAA shall be final.